Saturday 8 September 2012

Recovery

I am back, having been recuperating from 'hospital procedures' and on medication for one week - hence the absence of posts herein. Yet the mind has been ticking away and a period of unwell-ness gives one time to reflect on what it means to be well.

In a previous post I wrote about vulnerability. "Wrote about" might be a bit over-stating it; rather I penned a few thoughts on the idea. Taking a cocktail of antibiotics and ant-inflammatory drugs for the last seven days has made me think long and hard about life's priorities. I have realised how dependent I was on my family, especially my wife, who - like a Nurse - ensured I took the correct pills, in the correct quantities, at the right time, until at last I had figured out the routines myself! Had I been alone, it would have been a wholly different and more stressful period of recovery. A recent article  in the UK daily newspaper The Independent (07 Sept. 2012) ran a headline along the lines of 'Miracle cure for cancer...marriage'. The article was in relation to a study of lung cancer sufferers and their relative longevity depending on whether they were married or not. It found that those sufferers with spouses tended to live longer. Whether such research and findings can be replicated for other types of cancers remains to be seen. But the point did resonate true with me. Families and loved ones are part of one's heath toolkit. I certainly can vouch for that this last week  I was vulnerable and had loved one's to respond to me with love, and not (as perhaps sadly happens to some souls) with indifference or worse, abuse. 

Thank you, Manisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment