Saturday 17 November 2012

Strange noises that go bump in the … morning



I awoke with a start. The alarm had sounded at 6.30am; or rather my ‘must-remember-to-go-running’ reminder had buzzed me awake at this hour on the cusp of dawn.

My first thought was that a hanging had collapsed onto the floor inside my apartment, or a cupboard had fallen off its hinges. I slipped out of bed drearily, opened a few curtains and windows and gingerly crept in and out my suite of rooms, looking anxiously for the cause of the clamour, sleepy eyes searching in dreaded  anticipation of seeing a broken appendage on the floor. 

Nothing. 

As I opened the windows in my daughter's bedroom, instantly I knew the source of the clatter that had stirred me. A car lay crashed into a metal post and electrical box, the driver’s door open, but no other vehicle  in the vicinity. It appeared that the driver had lost control, maybe in trying to swerve to avoid another motor car, or had simply misjudged the wheel turn. Oddly, only a couple of security guards from our apartment block stood around, the identity or whereabouts of the driver unclear. 

Later, after I had finally donned my running gear and made my way downstairs and jogged past the   scene of the incident, I was no further enlightened. No driver, no other car. Later still – perhaps about an hour after the accident - I saw the car being towed away by a truck…

I prayed that any persons 'involved' were alright; and I thought of the Tamil lady who had died from a vehicle collision only last week…

Continuing my reading of Claxton’s Hare Brain Tortoise Mind, I share with you a favourite passage from this morning’s quiet time:

“In some moods it is possible to gain glimpses of what seems to be knowledge or truth of a sort – of a rather deep sort, perhaps – which is not an answer to a consciously held question; and which cannot be articulated clearly, literally, without losing precisely that quality which seems to  make it most valuable. There is a kind of knowing which is essentially indirect, sideways, allusive and symbolic; which hints and evokes and moves in ways that resist explication.“ p.173.

No comments:

Post a Comment